By Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Erin Hamilton

BREMERTON, Wash. – A brief was held aboard USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) to educate Sailors about Career Waypoints (C-WAY) June 19.

C-WAY is a program designed to assist Sailors in their decision to either continue serving on active duty, join the selected reserves or separate from the Navy.

“With the [C-WAY] program, more Sailors are taking charge of their future,” said Chief Navy Counselor Rex Parmelee, Stennis’ career counselor, from Nicholasville, Ky. “Sailors need to know their options and be able to make the right decision when this milestone is approaching.”

C-WAY differs from perform to serve in that it provides a faster response
and returns reenlistment power back to the commanding officer.

“The updated program gives Sailors more opportunities and choices to continue serving if they choose to,” said Navy Counselor First Class Petty Officer Preston Rogers, from Odessa, Texas. “However, they still need to indicate their intention with their career counselor to either reenlist or separate.”

“We tell Sailors they own 51 percent of their career,” said Parmelee. “It’s important and rewarding for us as leaders to provide the other 49 percent, so Sailors can make an informed decision .”

For more news about Career Waypoints, visit http://www.npc.navy.mil.

For more news from USS John C. Stennis visit http://www.stennis.navy.mil or http://www.facebook.com/stennis74.

Advertisements